Monday, April 27, 2009

My humble opinion

ok- here's my personal opinion:

I don't believe I, as a woman, am turned on to a product by seeing an advertisement utilizing sex appeal. In fact, I think that women are much more keen to consubstantiality than sex appeal. In many of the sex ads, women as the advertisers focus, I desired to be like that women, have what that women had, and look like that women looked like.

In the most recent ads that I have posted, advertisers have tried to appeal to female demographic. In my humble opinion, it isn't effective. Men are sexually/visually turned on: women aren't. Seeing a sexy man in the nude isn't going to make me want a specific brand of toilet paper, a "naturally soft" laundry detergent, or even a wedding dress. In fact, I find that more offensive than persuasive.

What about the rest of you? Do you find an ad like this persuasive or not?




This ad is a great example of my point. I find it flagrantly disrespectful and crass. Sexual appeal is not always appropriate, especially advertising something as important and sanctified as marriage. The naked man in the background is in no way selling me this dress...

I'm very interested in hearing other peoples' opinions...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your opinion on this ad! How stupid!! When I first saw it, my immediate attention went to the man and not the dress, he's pretty distracting :). My second thought was something really odd happened in this picture because he's butt naked and she's FULLY dressed.

Why would he just be traipsing around in the nude and caressing her shoulder while she's in full ball gown regalia? Strange set up. This ad doesn't make me want to buy a dress...

Shay Allen said...

I think that women are very visually turned on, just in a different manner than men. I could easily be sexually attrated to an advertisement, if it was formatted differntly than the ones that are so popular. I think a huge problem with these ads is that they are not realistic in the least, the set up or the people. I mean seriously, I dont want to look like half of those women, because well I love food and I have embraced that. I think that women are SENSUALLY attrated not sexually and maybe thats where the men in the advertising business have gone wrong!

Post a Comment